NEW SOFTWARE (WAS Re: contact address for HENNIG86)

Mark Siddall mes at zoo.toronto.edu
Sun Sep 18 10:24:50 EST 1994

F.Y.I.  there is new software to look for vis molecular phylogeny
reconstruction.

At Hennig XIII in Copenhagen, Farris presented "RNA" (Rapid Nucleotide
Analysis) designed for molecular sequence analysis.  It pumps out
Bremer support indeces and I watched it do 10,000 bootstrap pseudoreplicates
in 13 seconds!! (Yikes!).  Kluge and Lipscomb (c.f. my previous post)
are also distributing this.

Also, Goloboff presented "nona" a tree calculating (etc etc ) program
with many options bells and whistles.

Ward Wheeler presented a revised Malign for multiple alignment based
on parsimony (as opposed to Clustal based on UPGMA) with an inovative
new way to do this called "Optalign"... watch for it!

Other software presented was "Component" by Page, new biogeographic
analysis software by Nelson, and "Random Cladtistics" by your humble servant.

Mark

P.S.  Any interest in my posting the titles from the molecular section
of the meeting?

Gloucester Point, VA, 23062