Notice to molecular geneticists regarding the IBI MacVector program

unknown at dl.ac.uk unknown at dl.ac.uk
Sun Jan 23 21:51:32 EST 1994

Dear Colleagues,

Please excuse me for congesting the system but I would like to draw your
attention to the fact that some of the versions of the IBI MacVector pro-
gram (for Macintosh) have incorrect genetic codes.

Here in Professor RH Crozier's lab we use the Version 3.5, and this ver-
sion has errors in the following codes:

Echinoderm mtDNA code:  UGA is a stop but should be Trp,

Plant        "     " :  CGG is a Trp but should be Arg.

Reference: Osawa et al. (1992)  Recent evidence for Evolution of the Ge-
           netic code.  Microbiological Reviews 56:229-264.

It might be noted that MacVector provide no reference to the genetic codes
(as far as I can see).

In a recent telephone conversation with Ms Janie Avis, who is responsible
for providing the MacVector customer service in Australia, I was informed
that IBI, regardless of a previous notification about the echinoderm mtDNA
code made August last year, had released a subsequent version 4.0 in which
the error still existed.

I am in the process of trying to get IBI to correct the errors (others
might exist that have gone unnoticed) the code errors.  Meanwhile, I will
advice you to check the genetic codes used in MacVector and not take them
for granted, as I did.

Yours sincerely,

Lars Sommer Jermiin
Dept. of Genetics and Human Variation