evolution of genomes

aroger at ac.dal.ca aroger at ac.dal.ca
Tue May 4 15:55:59 EST 1993

In article <1993May3.173731.83814 at embl-heidelberg.de>, ouzounis at embl-heidelberg.de writes:
> Here is a question for the Net:
>
> I am interested to find out whether any serious theoretical advances
> towards the origins and organization of genomes have been made, in the
> spirit of Britten & Davidson classic (1969) "Gene regulation for higher
> cells: a theory" - Science 165, 349-357. I am looking for integrated
> works that address the problem of the origins and evolution of genomes,
> especially eukaryotic ones. I am not interested in genes-in-pieces type
> of things, nor codon usage patterns and nucleotide composition work.
> Any pointers would greatly be appreciated.

Tom Cavalier-Smith has written many marvellously detailed and well-
reasoned articles on this very subject.  His most recent
contribution on the genome evolution front is a book chapter
called
"Evolution of the Eukaryotic Genome"  and it is in a book called
The Eukaryotic Microbial Genome, edited by P. Broda, Cambridge
University Press (1993).   I'm not certain if many libraries will
have the volume yet.  However if you are interested in his work
you should send reprint requests to
T. Cavalier-Smith
CIAR Evolutionary Biology Program
Dept. of Botany
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, Canada
V6T 1Z4

He has many older papers on this subject as well.  Check the 1987
Endocytobiology IV volume and his paper "The Origin of Archaebacterial
and Eukaryote Cells".   An extensive discussion of his earlier ideas
can be found in a book published, I think in 1985, called
"The Evolution of Genome Size."...He not only talks about the C-value
paradox but also a variety of interesting issues in eukaryotic and
bacterial genome evolution.  But I strongly recommend that you write
to him and ask for his most recent article.  AS a rule his articles
are difficult to digest until you get a handle on his nomenclature.
Doing this requires extensive reading of earlier articles that he has
written.  Once you have done this, however, you will find his
ideas extremely well thought out.  His account of the origin and
evolution of the eukaryote cell and its genome is not a generally
accepted one, but his ideas about these issues are stimulating and
comprehensive.

Andrew J. Roger
Dept. of Biochemistry
Halifax, Nova Scotia