E.coli evolution

Dan Davison Davison at UH.EDU
Wed Jan 29 22:43:41 EST 1992

JAB5 at vaxb.york.ac.uk said:
>    I am interested in the genetic relationship between E.coli subtypes,
> particularly B, C, W and how close they are to K-12.
>    Any feedback, info or pointers to relevant literature would be most
> appreciated. It is incredible that we know so much about K-12 yet are
> unclear on the relationship between this strain and natural isolates
> of coli.

Umm, well, you might go to library and look up Roger Milkman's recent
work; Howard Ochman w/ and w/o Robert Selander; and Selander's stuff.
There is a lot of information out there. Now if someone would just
write a good review...too bad Roger doesn't read the net.

FYI, this discussed every year at the Woods Hole Molecular Evolution
course, which this year is Aug 1-15.

dan

Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77204-5934/davison at uh.edu/DAVISON at UHOU

"I do not feel obliged to believe that same God who endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect had intended for us to forgo their use."  --Galileo

myself.