How do you say Phylip?

Joe Felsenstein joe at GENETICS.WASHINGTON.EDU
Fri May 25 18:11:24 EST 1990

I used to say "Philip" but others convinced me that the proper pronounciation
should be "File-ip".  Does that make it official?

As for the ReadSeq program -- note that in version 3.3 of PHYLIP, which will
be released at about the end of May (a week from now), I have changed the
input format for the molecular sequence programs.  Now if sequences
run over multiple lines you should not have all of the first sequence,
followed by all of the second, etc. but should have the first part of each
sequence, then after the first parts of all sequences have been given,
a line containing only a carriage-return, then the second part of each
sequence, and so on.  Names of sequences are put only on the first
group of lines.

Thus I am switching to an "aligned" or "interleaved" format.  That means that
ReadSeq will have to ask the user which version of PHYLIP is intended,
at least for a while.

 Internet/ARPANet: joe at genetics.washington.edu     (IP No. 128.208.128.1)
 BITNET/EARN:      FELSENST at UWALOCKE
 UUCP:             ... uw-beaver!uw-entropy!uw-evolution!joe