catecholamine fluorescence and pH

Rikke Nikolajsen RN at AMI.DK
Wed May 31 08:01:26 EST 2000

Hello - I am not quite sure, this is the right newsgroup to ask this
question in - but I'm more or less desperate.....

I would like to know how the fluorescence spectra of  the catecholamines
adrenaline/ephinephrine and noradrenaline/norepinephrine) change with
pH .

The compounds seem to decompose in even slightly basic media (e.g.
pH=8.5) - the fluorescence vanishes. Is this due to oxidation of
phenoles??? – or is it another cause?  Will you under any circumstances
be able to measure catecholamine fluorescence in basic solution?

Furthermore, does anybody know where the catecholamine's chemical
and fluorescence properties might be described in detail?

Thanks in advance
Rikke

---