[Drosophila] Help: Gal4 and expression of genes with many/long introns

Sandra Schulze via dros%40net.bio.net (by heterochromatic from gmail.com)
Tue Sep 12 12:53:26 EST 2017

Hi Kevin,

If  I understand you correctly, you are wondering if the expression of GAL4
alone has the effect of upregulating certain genes? As if, in the promoter
regions of these genes, there is a sequence recognized by some kind of
transcription factor that GAL4 might resemble?

I have not had quite the same experience, but I can tell you that I am in
the middle of a survival experiment (testing for life-span extension),
where in my pilot experiment, driving with GAL4 appeared to extend life
span. In other words, my negative control that involved UAS GAL4 extended
lifespan as long as my experimental.

I should know in 200 short days whether this can be repeated. There were
lots of problems with the pilot regarding genetic background, which have
been corrected in the current experiment.

I have often wondered, though, how the expression of GAL4 affects other
genes. It is a long-utilized and hallowed tool, and negative controls
abound, but I still wonder.

Are you going to try and see if this effect can be reproduced with other
drivers?  In isogenic backgrounds?

Cheers,