[Drosophila] Help: Gal4 and expression of genes with many/long introns

Kevin Van Der Graaf via dros%40net.bio.net (by GraafK from cardiff.ac.uk)
Tue Sep 12 11:03:08 EST 2017

Hi all,

I have some interesting data that we don't understand, and we are interested in hearing if anyone else has seen something similar.

We have a mutant where spliced genes with many and long introns are down-regulated compared to WT. We used the UAS/Gal4 system to rescue our mutant.
However, in the control reactions we noticed that Gal4 alone might have an effect on the expression of these genes.

To give you an example, we compared a wild-type with armgal4;Sb/Tm3 genotype and saw that these many/long intron genes were highly up-regulated in the armgal4;Sb/Tm3. When this is in the mutant background the expression of the long intron genes is rescued, even with no UAS-construct present.

Has anyone else seen this affect where just gal4 affects the expression of genes (in particular genes with many/long introns)?

Many thanks,

Kevin van der Graaf
PhD student
Cardiff University