[Drosophila] APS assay

dj.wingo from gmail.com via dros%40net.bio.net (by dj.wingo from gmail.com)
Wed May 10 07:33:12 EST 2017

Hi,

I'm a Grad Student of Univ. of the Philippines Manila (referred to this group by Dr. Paul Medina, my adviser) working on scents and flies, testing them through an aversive phototaxis suppression (APS) assay in a T-maze. So far, I was screening newly-eclosed flies and found that very few (~4 out of 10) exhibit phototaxis. This interferes with the assay itself.

So far, some factors I've varied are room temp. and light intensity. I've chosen a brighter LED light to use in my assay but still, even with this, very few showed phototaxis. Room temp. didn't affect it that much.

Would appreciate all your inputs.

Thank you very much.

-Bryan Paul