[Drosophila] homemade / cheap GFP/DsRed detection

hrundle4 from gmail.com via dros%40net.bio.net (by hrundle4 from gmail.com)
Wed Mar 22 15:23:29 EST 2017

I work with whole-body expression of both GFP and DsRed in Drosophila, using it as an individual-level marker in fitness assays. This means I only need to know whether the fly is expressing it or not (as opposed to quantitative differences in expression level or localization). I can’t afford to outfit multiple scopes commercially for a very large assay we have coming. I have found several online resources for building your own detection system, or even simply using a laser pointer, all in worms. Has anyone done this in Drosophila? I'd love know and hear any tips.

Best,
Howard

Howard D. Rundle, Professor
Department of Biology, 30 Marie-Curie Priv.
University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, K1N 6N5, CANADA
Ph: +1 613-562-5800 x2835; Fax: +1 613-562-5486; Skype: howarddrundle
http://hrundle.weebly.com | www.evolutionmeetings.org