[Drosophila] Postdoctoral position available in Markstein Lab

Michele Markstein via dros%40net.bio.net (by mmarkstein from bio.umass.edu)
Tue Jun 23 12:46:59 EST 2015

A postdoctoral position is available in the Markstein laboratory at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. We study how stem cells respond to natural and synthetic chemicals in the environment over the course of normal development and tumor progression. Using Drosophila intestinal stem cells as a model, we have found that several FDA approved chemotherapeutics that block the proliferation of tumor stem cells, have the opposite effect on wild type stem cells, inducing them to hyperproliferate. We are now focusing on how differences in genetic background affect how stem cells respond to small molecules. We employ Drosophila genetics, chemical screening, tumor modeling, transgenics, genomics, and confocal microscopy. To learn more about our laboratory visit: http://marksteinlab.org.

The ideal candidate will have recently completed their Ph.D. in molecular biology or a related field. Experience with Drosophila genetics and/or cell biology is highly desirable. To apply, send a cover letter explaining your past and future research interests, plus your C.V. with contact information for three references.

Email your application to Dr. Michele Markstein at mmarkstein from bio.umass.edu.

The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members.