[Drosophila] Teaching Drosophila Development Questions

Gary Lange via dros%40net.bio.net (by gmlange from svsu.edu)
Thu Jul 18 11:15:15 EST 2013

Hello:

I know this is more of a research oriented list, as I have lurked here for years, but I am hoping that perhaps you may be able to help me out with a few ideas, links, suggestions etc. for a class I am inheriting this fall.  I am going to get to teaching our Department's Developmental Biology course and I am hoping to have a focus on Drosophila development.  My questions are as follows:

1.  Do any of you know of a source for prepared microscope slides for developmental stages in Drosophila (I have looked at Triarch, Carolina, & Wards but have not found any yet)?

2.  I am also looking around for any teaching laboratory exercises I may find so that I may model them and write a laboratory experience that my students will be able to follow in class.  The aspects I am looking for include Drosophila reproductive behavior, egg laying behavior, cell/tissue development in the egg and larval stages, and other aspects of the flies behavior/development/growth that I could incorporate into a laboratory experience for a classroom of college students who are biology majors.  I am NOT wanting to do a typical genetics lab experience where we look at crosses.  Instead I am trying to work on something related more to cell/tissue development.

3.  I have also seen a few images (Google search) of photographs of the stages of Drosophila development, but have not been able to locate sources from these images.  Does anyone know of a source to purchase books of atlas's of Drosophila development or posters of stages of development?

4.  Any ideas or suggestions on other aspects of Drosophila development that maybe I am not thinking about?

Thank you for any consideration you may be able to give my request,

Gary M. Lange

Gary M. Lange, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Biology