[Drosophila] variable pupal size

Mark Thorson via dros%40net.bio.net (by nospam from sonic.net)
Mon Dec 2 21:33:28 EST 2013

I've recently had three batches of flies in which
the size of the pupae had a large size distribution.
Normally, they are very uniform.  Does anyone know
what might cause this?  I haven't propagated any
cultures from these batches, out of concern they
may be afflicted by some Drosophila disease.  Other
than the size variation, though, they seemed healthy.