[Drosophila] multiple antennas

Vef, Dr. Olaf via dros%40net.bio.net (by ovef from uni-mainz.de)
Wed Oct 17 05:38:22 EST 2012

Dear fly community,

Genotype:
ey[D]/OK107 (ey-Gal4)                4th chromosome

Can anybody explain me why this genotype (see above) results in a transformation from eye to antenna (transdetermination?) in parts of the eye. The penetrance is not very high, but you can find many flies (about 10%) in each generation with small eyes and multiple antennas (3 or more - on the expense of parts of the eye). Neither OK107 nor eyeless[Dominant] shows this phenotype.

I am looking forward to any suggestion or explanation.

Best regards,
Olaf

Dr. Olaf Vef
Institute for Genetics
Johannes Gutenberg-University, Mainz
Johann-Joachim-Becher-Weg 32
D-55128 Mainz
GERMANY
email: ovef from mail.uni-mainz.de<mailto:ovef from mail.uni-mainz.de>
Tel.:  049-(0)6131-3925347
Fax:   049-(0)6131-3925845