[Drosophila] dispensing food

hrundle from uottawa.ca via dros%40net.bio.net (by hrundle from uottawa.ca)
Mon Aug 25 13:14:47 EST 2008

Hi,

We've cook fly media in small batches and have been dispensing it
using a Mettler-Toledo 323DZ peristaltic pump. However, some new food
recipes we are using in the lab (by necessity - we can't switch) are
too thick for this pump and do not dispense consistently. A "Droso-
filler" (i.e. fills 100 vials at once) does not make sense because we
cook in such small volumes (1.5L/cook). We therefore need to either
scale up our cooking operation somewhat, or find a better pump.

I would love to hear any recommendations or advice on either:

1. setting up a medium scale cooking operation. What type of pot/
kettle would you recommend? We are the only fly lab in the department,
so we're looking at cooks on the scale of 4-10L I would think. We
don't have easy access to a steam supply either.

2. getting a better pump that deals well with thick food.

Any information would be much appreciated!

Howard Rundle
Department of Biology
University of Ottawa
Ottawa, ON