[Drosophila] Re: chromosome to kill female

dros at iubio.bio.indiana.edu dros at iubio.bio.indiana.edu
Wed Apr 27 08:28:41 EST 2005

You could use a shibire strain (shi is on the X), which can be
heat-shocked to kill mutants.  Homozygous females would die if heat
shocked as larvae.  You can protect the males by supplying shi+ on the
Y chromosome (through a translocation).  If you cannot find a
T(1;Y),shi[+], please contact me, since I remember having one somewhere
in my stock collections.

Regards,
Keith Maggert

Keith A. Maggert, Ph.D.                           Assistant Professor
Texas A&M University                            office (979) 845-6610
Department of Biology                              fax (979) 845-2891
College Station, TX 77843-3258, U.S.A.              kmaggert at tamu.edu