Searching for archived data

cck2034 at latymer-upper.org cck2034 at latymer-upper.org
Mon Mar 5 11:05:27 EST 2001

To whomever might help,
    I am a second-year sixth form student in London and, as part of my Applied Maths A-level, I am required to write a project showing some applications of statistics.
    I am attempting a project illustrating the mathematics of inheritance and basic quantitative genetics. So far I have been unable to find some of the raw data I need. Specifically, I am seeking the data behind:
        Rose, MR "Laboratory Evolution of Postponed Senescence in Drosophila melanogaster," Evolution 38, 1984
        Reeve & Robertson "Studies in Quantitative Inheritance II Analysis of a strain of Drosophila melanogaster                     selected for long wings," Journal of Genetics 51, 1953
    The journals are those published in the UK, and may go by different names elsewhere. I am not confident that the data is readily available, having contacted Prof. Rose already, and considering the age of the second piece. I write this in the hope that someone might be able to point me in the direction of the appropriate raw data, or provide me with data allowing me to demonstrate similar points - that selective breeding can lead to a directed change in a population mean, and that there is a strong positive correlation between mean parental and offspring quantitative characteristics.
Any help anyone might give me would be greatly appreciated.

    Chris Chang
            Latymer Upper School, London, England, W6 9LR
            cck2034 at latymer-upper.org