Question about Phone Spam

Mark D. Garfinkel mg16 at midway.uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 5 12:28:40 EST 2000

	I got a phone call this morning from a digital imaging company
I had never heard of before. When I asked the telemarketrix how she got
my phone number she said, "you're in our database." When I asked where
they had gotten their database, she said "Um, from Genetics...?" I asked
if she meant the Genetics Society of America member directory, she said
yes, that someone had typed it in (!). When I asked what kind of products
the firm sold, the answer (hesitatingly given, as if by a person new to
these technical terms) was "cytogenetics [...] including FISH."

	Has anyone else received such a phone call (or unsolicited
commercial e-mail, for that matter) that might be attributed to vendors
having gotten use of the GSA membership directory? I'd be _very_ surprised
to learn that the GSA has authorized it; does anyone know about that?

Mark Garfinkel

--
Mark D. Garfinkel (e-mail: mg16 at midway.uchicago.edu. Ask for PGP public key)
(c) 2000; all rights reserved. Permission granted for Usenet quotation.