Post-doctoral position : Drosophila Immunity.

Bruno LEMAITRE Bruno.Lemaitre at cgm.cnrs-gif.fr
Thu Oct 21 06:58:21 EST 1999

Post-doctoral position in Paris (France):  Drosophila Immunity

        Our research focuses on understanding mechanisms of microbial
infection and corresponding host defense responses using Drosophila as a
model system. Recently, we showed that there are striking similarities
between signaling pathways that activate the Drosophila host defense and
mammalian innate immunity. We are continuing to use a genetic analysis of
Drosophila to extend our understanding of how these pathways activate
immune responses as well as to determine how hosts recognize and
distinguish between different microbial pathogens.
        In addition we have identified bacterial and fungal pathogens that
infect Drosophila with a high degree of specificity, indicating that these
species have evolved mechanisms for exploiting Drosophila as a host.  To
study these mechanisms, we are now using molecular and genetic approaches
to identify microbial virulence factors as well as their targets in
Drosophila.
        The initial appointment will be for a 12-month period, beginning
January 2000. Net monthly salary will be from FF10000 to FF13000 according
to experience. The position is for one year with the possibility of renewal
for up to three years. Interested candidates should send applications to
Bruno Lemaitre  as soon as possible.

Bruno Lemaitre
Centre de Genetique Moleculaire
CNRS
91198 Gif-sur-Yvette
Tel: 33 (0)1 69 82 31 82 Fax: 33 (0)1 69 82 43 86
E-mail : lemaitre at cgm.cnrs-gif.fr
http://www.cnrs-gif.fr/cgm/immunity/indexen.html