Symposium: New Perspectives in Insect Biology: A Tribute to John H. Law

Lucy Cherbas lcherbas at bio.indiana.edu
Thu May 27 14:32:52 EST 1999

This is to announce a symposium to be held in Bloomington, Indiana in
November devoted to exciting areas of current insect biology, mostly
biochemical and molecular.  We hope to attract a mix of Drosophila and
non-Drosophila workers, and we encourage poster presentations.  [The
program of speakers is at the end of this message.]  More information and
an on-line registration form can be found on our web site:
www.bio.indiana.edu/research/imcb/

Indiana Molecular Biology Symposium X
New Perspectives in Insect Biology: A Tribute to John H. Law
Nov. 4-7, 1999

Thursday evening:
· Keynote address. Michael Ashburner, Cambridge University: How insects
work - lessons from the Drosophila genome.

Friday morning
Pattern formation (T. Kaufman, chair)
· Sean Carroll, University of Wisconsin: The art and evolution of animal
design:  Insect wings.
· Nipam Patel, University of Chicago: The evolution and manipulation of
arthropod body patterning.
· Robin E. Denell, Kansas State University: TBA
· Thomas Kaufman, Indiana University: Using Hox genes to probe the
evolution of the arthropod Bauplan.

Friday afternoon
Hormones (P. Cherbas, chair)
· Peter Cherbas, Indiana University: Ecdysone receptor (EcR/USP) as a
switch and a transcription factor.
· Carl Thummel, University of Utah: Molecular mechanisms of ecdysone action
during Drosophila metamorphosis.
· Lynn M. Riddiford, University of Washington: A molecular analysis of the
"status quo" action of juvenile hormone
· James W. Truman, University of Washington: The evolution of endocrine
signalling in insect development and metamorphosis.

Saturday morning:
Immunity (F. Kafatos, chair)
· Jules Hoffman, University of Strasbourg: New developments in the study of
the innate immune response in Drosophila.
· Fotis Kafatos, EMBL, Heidelberg: The immune system of the mosquito, and
the parasite.
· John Law, University of Arizona: The rusty fly, or how Drosophila
responds to iron.
· Michael Kanost, Kansas State University: Hemolymph proteases in insect
immune responses

Saturday afternoon
Signaling (J. Hildebrand, chair)
· Alan Renwick, Boyce-Thompson Institute, Cornell University: Perception,
addiction and cravings governing larval responses to plant signals.
· Peter Evans, Cambridge University: Agonist-specific coupling of G-protein
coupled receptors to different second messenger systems
· John Hildebrand, University of Arizona: Neural processing of
semiochemical information in moths.
· Alan Nighorn, University of Arizona: The role of cGMP in the olfactory
system of Manduca sexta.

Sunday morning
Vector and parasite biology (M. Muskavitch, chair)
· Scott O'Neill, Yale University : TBA
· José Ribeiro, N.I.H.: Role of  saliva in blood feeding by arthropods
· Nancy Beckage, University of California, Riverside: Host-parasite
relationships in the tobacco hornworm
· speaker TBA

Organizing committee:
Lucy Cherbas (chair)