Anyone please tell me where to purchase fruit fly eggs

Chris Jones & Deirdre Sumpter 4christopher.jones at nashville.com
Wed Jun 30 21:21:24 EST 1999

In article <3777ED74.B96EAB15 at netvigator.com>, conway
<hwconway at netvigator.com> wrote:

> I'm a secondary school biology teacher in Hong Kong. I would like to
> perform simple genetic experiments in fruit flies to arouse my advanced
> level biology students' interest. Unfortunately, I don't known where to
> purchase the fruit fly eggs.

You can buy Drosophila supplies (including cultures) from Carolina
Biological Supply here in the U.S. However, as a pedagogical exercise you
might also want to consider capturing your own: they're almost certainly
rife in fruit markets and breweries or wineries (though I doubt there are
any of those in HK). It might be interesting to get some bananas from a
shop or stand where Drosophila are around and let them go black. Sometimes
this produces flies at home, which could lead into an interesting
discussion of spontaneous generation.

But your local flies probably won't present interesting phenotypes for
genetic analysis, so you'll still need to check Carolina. They're
somewhere on the web, I know. Good luck.

Chris Jones

--
To reply, please remove the initial digit from our address.
Make the world a better place: shoot a spammer today!