In vitro fertilization Question

Robert Butcher r.d.j.butcher at dundee.ac.uk
Fri Jun 11 10:55:11 EST 1999

Hi Vesco,

> 					I was curious if anyone had heard of in vitro fertilization of
> Drosophila eggs. Is it possible? Does a protocol exist?

Yes. We have dissected out male spermatheca from fertilised females
and spilled the contents into modified drosophila ringers and used to
fertilise dissected out mature eggs. Works well with high viability.
Need few sperm (<10) per egg to get fertilisation in this system, but
it could probably be optimised even further. Time consuming if you
want to do mass "bulk" in vitro fertilisations to say the least. In
theory i guess you could just dissect out sperm from male genitals,
which would be less effort and yield more sperm i expect, but you
would possibly get immature sperm here that may reduce the apparent
succesfull fertilisation rate..?... i dont know as i havent tried
that..... and also would bypass all the accessory components added by
the male (relevance depends upon your interests)...
. I can send you more details if you want.
All the best
 Rob

Robert Butcher,
Evolutionary and Ecological Entomology Unit,
Department of Biological Sciences,
Dundee University,
Dundee, DD1 4HN,
Tayside, Scotland,
UK.
Work Phone:- 01382-344291 (Office), 01382-344756 (Lab).
Fax:- 01382-344864
e-mail:- r.d.j.butcher at dundee.ac.uk
---