How much DNA in Drosophila?

Robert Butcher r.d.j.butcher at dundee.ac.uk
Fri Jun 11 10:42:49 EST 1999

Hi Suresh,

> Can somebody help me in finding an answer to the question:
> HOW MUCH IS THE AMOUNT OF DNA IN EACH DROSOPHILA FLY?

I Dont know the total amount of DNA in a drosophila. The genome
size is about 170mbp per cell for the haploid copy number for D.
melanogaster. However a simple cell number (i dont have that
estimate to hand) multiplier plus a correction for diploid is not
sufficice due to somatic tissue polyploidisation.

> THE REASON FOR ASKING THIS QUESTION IS THAT I NEED TO EXTRACT DNA FROM
> THE FLIES, AND I WANT TO KNOW HOW MNAY FLIES TO USE FOR A CERTAIN AMOUNT
> OF REQUIRED DNA.

That is a simpler estimate.
For most extraction techniques involving complete cellular lysis,
such as the standard SDS homogenisation etc, expect around 0.9-1.0 ug
dna per female fly, and perhaps only 0.9 per male (NB this will
contain mtDNA as well as gDNA). In fact you will probably get a bit
more, but this will allow a safety net for losses during phenol
extraction etc if you use thuis method, etc.
All the best
Rob
Robert Butcher,
Evolutionary and Ecological Entomology Unit,
Department of Biological Sciences,
Dundee University,
Dundee, DD1 4HN,
Tayside, Scotland,
UK.
Work Phone:- 01382-344291 (Office), 01382-344756 (Lab).
Fax:- 01382-344864
e-mail:- r.d.j.butcher at dundee.ac.uk
---