Funded Postdoctoral Position

Brian Oliver oliver at HELIX.NIH.GOV
Thu Jan 28 14:34:54 EST 1999

--============_-1294570769==_ma============

POSTDOCTORAL POSITION:  DROSOPHILA GERMLINE DEVELOPMENT

Germ cells differentiate into either eggs or sperm.  We are seeking
applicants who are interested in the regulation of this sex determination
decision.  Some basic problems are: 1) How is the X-chromosome karyotype
read by germ cells? 2) How do germ cells compensate for X-chromosome dosage
differences (or escape from a compensation requirement)? 3) What is the
nature of the cell-cell signaling used during germline sex determination?
4)  Is germline sex determination similar between species?

Current work is focused on the regulation and downstream targets of the
highly conserved zinc-finger encoding ovo locus. We are using genetics,
biochemistry and genomics to determine how ovo is regulated in the female
germline and to determine what genes OVO regulates.  If you are interested
in a multi-disciplinary approach to understanding gametogenesis, please
submit a one page statement of interest, CV, bibliography and three letters
of reference to:

Brian Oliver
LCDB, NIDDK, NIH
6 Center Drive MSC 2715
Building 6, Room B1-13
Bethesda MD 20892-2715

<http://www.niddk.nih.gov/intram/people/boliver.htm>
--============_-1294570769==_ma============

>POSTDOCTORAL
POSITION:  DROSOPHILA GERMLINE DEVELOPMENT

Germ cells differentiate into either eggs or sperm.  We are seeking
applicants who are interested in the regulation of this sex
determination decision.  Some basic problems are: 1) How is the
X-chromosome karyotype read by germ cells? 2) How do germ cells
compensate for X-chromosome dosage differences (or escape from a
compensation requirement)? 3) What is the nature of the cell-cell
signaling used during germline sex determination?  4)  Is germline sex
determination similar between species? =20

<<http://www.niddk.nih.gov/intram/people/boliver.htm></bigger>