Drosophila mating cross question!!

James Ford dp248 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Feb 18 22:13:34 EST 1999

I have a question about fruit fly mating.

Here's the cross I did in the lab:

male (homozygous wildtype) X female (pure white eyes VISIBLE only, no other
mutations visible)
female (homozygous wildtype) X male (pure white eyes VISIBLE only, no other
mutations visible)

In both cases my offsprings were a ~1:1 male:female ratio (using Chi squared
approx. 50-60%) and ALL were visible wildtypes.

I was wondering what the mode of inheritance might be?
Why were all flies visible wiltype and no white eye males?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks