P-element insertion question

m.champagne at cellbio.duke.edu m.champagne at cellbio.duke.edu
Mon Feb 15 13:15:08 EST 1999

Leif,

i've done PCR based detection of P elements insertion.  My first attempt was
unsuccessful, but I was able to draw some conclusions you might be interested
in.  I'd love to hear what other have concluded:

-I was able to detect 1 positive fly in a pool of ~500 (so i played it safe and
pooled up to a 100 flies/tube to grind).

-Too much DNA/RNA/primers will inhibit your PCR reaction (possibly by quenching
the Mg++).
     *You can pool primers, but i would have more than 4/tube.
     *You need RNase in your grinding buffer.
     *You should have a Phenol/Chloroform step in your DNA prep (i have a
     nice/fast DNA miniprep protocol:  18 samples are in EtOH to ppt in 90
min.,
     includes RNase and P/C).

-It's true you could get a 7 kb band out of some PCR kits, but I wouldn't count
on it.  I play it safe by spreading my primers every 3 kb.  Most important is
choosing where on the sequence.  Most Ps go into the 5' end of genes, almost
never in coding region.  Some genes are cold to Ps (i heard ~50%).  Since Ps
tend to hop locally, so if you have a P in your area, you might want to
choose that one...

data compiled from Tower & al '93 (Genetics 133:347), where they used a mini
chromosome________________

F2 progeny:  28 800
F2 w/ right genotype:  3600 (male, not Sb delta, and carries a rosy P)

interchromosomal hops:  120
intrachromosomal hops:  36   --->36/3600= 1%

Of those 36 hops:

17 were in a 4.9 kb hotspot (47%)
6           the original P
8 were 0-2 kb away  (22%)
3 were 2-3          (8%)
2 were 3-128        (5.6%)

They used PZ (rosy), but you'd be better off with a P marked with white since
you can exclude the Ps that have the same eye color as the parental line
(majority of P stay put).

In fact, if you have a P close to your gene, you might want
to look into male recombination (as Greg so wonderfully described).  I tried it
at small scale, and as long as your markers are easy to identify, it's fairly
easy to collect tons of male recombinants.  The only problem is to sort out
which ones you want...

About that non-specific primer of yours, just stop using it.  Design another one
It'll cost you only ~30$ to get it, you'll save time.

--------