P-element insertion question

Leif Søndergaard lsunicph at BIOBASE.DK
Fri Feb 5 03:18:23 EST 1999

P-element mutagenesis and flanking DNA.
We are currently doing a similar experiment except we want to insert and
not remove a P-element in our gene. We also screen by PCR with one primer
facing out from the P-element and a battery of primers specific for our
gene. One of our 'gene-specific' primers is, unfortuately, not so specific
since it gives PCR products at several different P-insertion sites. We have
sequenced several of these insertions and found that the sequence outside
the P-element is always different also in a set of 4 insertions in the same
gene. If these were false positives due to moving of flankíng DNA then the
DNA next to the element should be the same in these 4 cases.

We would be very interested to hear from people with experience in PCR
based screening of P-element mutagenesis. What is the optimal number of
primers that can be used simultaneously? What is the optimal distance
between gene specific primers? What is the best stage to use (we use
embryos)? Are there some genes that cannot be mutated or insertions that
cannot be found?
Thanks in advance,
Leif Sondergaard
Dept. og Genetics