P-element insertion question

John Anderson jbanders at helix.nih.gov
Thu Feb 4 11:35:29 EST 1999

I have a simple question regarding the behavior of P-
elements:

I know that when a P-element mobilizes, it can excise
imprecisely, taking away some flanking DNA. My question
is, when this occurs and then the P-element reinserts
somewhere else in the genome, does it insert precisely,
losing the flanking DNA or can it insert the flanking
DNA into the new site?

I want to know because I'm trying to create a deletion
by mobilizing a P-element that is near my gene. I want
to use a PCR screen, with one primer in the P and one
outside it. A positive would indicate that the P is
still where it was. It has occurred to me that I could
get false positives, if the P-element and the flanking
DNA where the 2nd primer is are still together, even if
they have moved.

Please respond by e-mail or to the newsgroup. Thanks in
advance.

John Anderson
NHLBI

*** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ***