High School Project

MB mbacon99 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 7 13:55:33 EST 1999

Hello,
    We are a group of high school students from Horton High School,
Wolfville Nova Scotia, Canada.
    We recently performed a lab studying the inheritance of wing traits
among Dosophila melanogaster. Some homozygous wild and vestigial flies were
sexed to give an F1 generation with a phenotype ratio of 4:0 wild to
vestigial wings. This F1 generation was crossed after 2 weeks to produce the
F2 generation. We assumed that we would get a 3:1 ratio of wild to vestigial
but in fact got a 4:0 ratio. How could this happen?
    Any insight into our current dilemma would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Bacon,
Hayley Craig, and Lyndsay Vidito