Dominant Uncoordinated Mutation to good home!

Adelaide T C Carpenter atc12 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Sat May 23 13:41:08 EST 1998

I have an ENU-induced dominant uncoordinated mutation I would like to
find a home for!  It maps recombinationally to 2-42;  this is roughly
salivary division 31.  Development of heterozygotes is little if any
delayed, but adults have difficulty eclosing;  keeping the culture
at low humidity helps here, as does turning the vial upside down.
Newly-eclosed adults move very slowly, though they do manage to do
all the fly-type motions (grooming, etc) except flight, which they do
not attempt.  Movement seems to improve with age.  Females are quite
fertile;  males seem to be sterile, even with their uncoordinated
sisters.  The few balancers I have tried seem to make the flies just
that little bit too sick, so I am keeping this stock in a wild-type
background by shaking the Uncs down onto the cotton, dumping them
onto my counting plate, and letting the wild-type sibs fly away.
This works, but it is labor- intensive and I have no interest in
this mutation!	If you do, email me and I will mail you a copy.
I would like to get this mutation out to as many labs as might be
interested in it;  it is difficult to keep, and once I am sure that
others have a going culture I am *not* going to keep my stock going.
	Just in case you're wondering:	the parental male was mosaic
	-- he was wild-type in
movement but all his mutagenized-second progeny were Unc.  And I
noticed that because I was scoring for Cy[+] through the vial
without anesthesia.
	Everyone who is interested, let me know *soon*!

Adelaide TC Carpenter	 atc12 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk