[bio.dros] [Fwd: the common house fly]

Mamiko Ozaki mamiko at bio.sci.osaka-u.ac.jp
Thu May 14 21:01:08 EST 1998

Dear Mark.

You have had interesting discussion in your class.  I am a researcher
studying taste in insects, mainly using flies and butterflies.
Generally in insects, antena is for smell like nose and mouth part and/or
feet are for taste.  So, you are right but, I would not say your teacher is
wrong.  Because, some insects possesse taste sensor also on antenna (wilde
silk moth, for example).
If you catch a fly, you can try to touch the anntenna and feet with a fine
brush with sugar solution and see when the fly extend the mouth for taking
sweet.

                    Best,

                                                 Mamiko Ozaki
At  3:45 PM 98.5.14 -0700, Olivia wrote:
>Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 17:39:54 -0400
>From: Laura <Kwatsmitty at sympatico.ca>
>To: hub at museon.museon.nl
>Subject: the common house fly
>
>A question came up in class today and I can't seem to find the answer
>anywhere to prove to my teacher that I'm right. I was hoping maybe you
>could help me?? The question- was where on the common housefly's body
>are the taste organs located? I said the feet but my teacher said it was
>the antenna. is she right??
>If you could help me that would be great!
>Mark Smith
>Toronto Canada

Mamiko Ozaki,  D.Sc.,

Osaka University,
Dept. of Biology, Fac. of Science,

Machikaneyama 1-1        |     Phone:    +81-6-850-5439
Toyonaka, Osaka, 560     |     Fax:      +81-6-850-5439
Japan                    |     e-mail :  ozaki at bio.sci.osaka-u.ac.jp