B-galactosidase assays

kovalige at muohio.edu kovalige at muohio.edu
Wed Jun 17 17:31:07 EST 1998

I am trying to do B-galactosidase assays on Drosophila embryos and
have so far been unsuccessful.  The embryos carry a lacZ reporter
construct that is expressed throughout the latter half of
embryogenesis and which gives a fairly specific staining pattern.  I
dechorionate the embryos in bleach, then fix them 20 minutes in 5 ml
heptane and 5 ml fix mix (100 mM PIPES, 2 mM MgSO4, 1 mM EGTA, 4%
formaldehyde).  I then wash the embryos three times in 1X PBS
containing 0.3% Triton X-100.  I add staining solution (1X PBS, plus
10 mM each potassium ferrocyanide and potassium ferricyanide, 0.3%
Triton X-100, 0.2% X-gal).  I have stained the embryos overnight on a
shaker and get no staining whatsoever.  All my solutions are made
fresh, and the X-gal was purchased recently.  Is there some trick to
this procedure that I'm not aware of?  I've looked at a number of
protocols for X-gal staining, and they all seem to be fairly
consistent, with only minor variations from one another.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I would be very appreciative of any
suggestions.

Gae Kovalick
Department of Zoology
Miami University