D. mangabeirai

ROBERT BUTCHER R.D.J.BUTCHER at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Jul 16 16:40:33 EST 1998

Hi everyone,
Ive only just joined the list (and indeed the drosophilidae world),
and I am not sure if  i am recieving postings yet, so please reply to
me personally (e-mail should be below).

Around 30-35 years ago, or perhaps longer, some work was done on  D.
mangabeirai (Malogolowkin).(Drosophilidae: Drosophilinae, but i dont
know the genus / subgenus etc)..probably  by Carson's group, i think,
but i dont have the references to hand to confirm that. However,
there is no mention of this species in Ashburner's book  (Drosophila,
a lab manual, CSH, 1969) that i have found (I have no access to
Drosophilidae keys / taxonomy lists at present); nor any current
references to this species in the litterature from 1981 onwards (BIDS
search).

Thus, my questions if anyone can please help are:-.
Has this species been reclassified or is it still D. mangabeirai
Malog?
Does anyone know of its current existance in lab culture?
Does anyone know of its current existance in "the wild" (apologies
for using that phrase).

Thanks for your time
Cheers
Rob

Robert Butcher,
Evolutionary and Ecological Entomology Unit,
Department of Biological Sciences,
Dundee University,
Dundee, DD1 4HN,
Tayside, Scotland,
UK.
Work Phone:- 01382-344291 (Office), 01382-344756 (Lab).
Fax:- 01382-344864
e-mail:- r.d.j.butcher at dundee.ac.uk