Incubators

Sziber, Patricia psziber at MOLBIO.PRINCETON.EDU
Wed Dec 30 10:39:54 EST 1998

I am a technician with Dr. Paul Schedl and I manage his lab here in the
Dept. of Molecular Biology.  After many years of spending thousands of
dollars on repairs, and especially when our newest Drosophila incubator died
this year at the age of six, I convinced Paul we should try a different
brand.  So I did some research and we anticipate delivery of two Percivals
next week.

I got several excellent recommendations for this brand.  The longest-term
user I found was Dr. Tulle Hazelrigg at Columbia who stated that her 12-year
old Percival "....has been very, very reliable."  Dr. James Erickson, also
at Columbia, has had three units for about 3 years with no problems.  I also
checked out one of the references supplied by Percival, Dr. Curt
Schwinghammer at American Cyanamid in Princeton who recently bought several.
I rather heavily weighted the recommendation of our contract refrigeration
repairman:  he called Percival the "Maytag of incubators."  I guess he
should know.

In additiion to their reputation for reliability, I was also sold on their
low pricetag and 2-year warranty.  Besides, they are vey nice people to deal
with.  However, do expect a long wait--they make each machine to order.  I
placed my order at the end of August.  I'm hoping their reputation holds up.
We seem to be very hard on equipment here, so this should be the ultimate
test.

Pat Sziber