Origin of Fruitflies

Mitch Dushay dushay at UMBI.UMD.EDU
Mon Aug 31 05:55:54 EST 1998

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998 00:14:03 -0400 M Mehrespand <mmehres at erols.com>
wrote:
> Question for the fruit fly experts (to settle a debate between me and my
> roommate):
> If you leave a piece of fruit on a table, from where does the first
> fruitfly come?  Are there eggs on each piece of fruit that hatch as the
> fruit ripens?
> Thanks for helping to settle this debate, Marc

Marc!  You've just repeated a famous experiment taught to science
students the world over demonstrating spontaneous generation:  fruit
flies emerge from ripening fruit, yes.  That's where they come from.
Other flies emerge from rotting meat, and you can probably guess the
source for lawyers.

Mitch Dushay
dushay at umbi.umd.edu