fruitflies - or Megaselia?

Chris Jones & Deirdre Sumpter 4christopher.jones at nashville.com
Mon Aug 31 01:37:27 EST 1998

In article <Pine.SV4.3.96.980827124114.7073A-100000 at pegasus>,
dnp96183 at PEGASUS.CC.UCF.EDU (Dixie-ann N Persaud) wrote:

> I am a graduate student at Univ. of Central Florida and I am doing
> comparative genetic studies on Drosophila and Megaselia.I have tried to
> find polytene chromosomes but to no avail; have you found any polytene
> chromosomes? Just very interested. Thanks

> On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Mark D. Garfinkel wrote:
>
> > In article <4christopher.jones-2608982236090001 at pm3-6-112.nashville.com>,
> > Chris Jones & Deirdre Sumpter <4christopher.jones at nashville.com> wrote:
> > [putative Megaselia invasion]
> > >I thought about trying to do some salivary gland
> > >squashes with them, figuring it might be easier for students to use larger
> > >larvae, but the cultures just smelled too nasty.
> >       For polytene cytology teaching purposes, why not use _D. virilis_
> > or _D. melanogaster_ carrying the appropriate _giant_ alleles?

No, this was just one of those "Hmm, I wonder if this would work?" sorts
of things. I've no idea if Megaselia chromsomes polytenize at all. Sorry.

Chris Jones

--
To reply, please remove the initial digit from our address.
Make the world a better place: shoot a spammer today!