orange fungus

Hampton Carson hampton at hawaii.edu
Sun Aug 2 21:35:00 EST 1998

>Some of our vials have an orange sheen or orange splotches.  It seems to
>be passed along with the flies.  Can any one tell me what it is and how
>to get rid of it? thank you, laura

Sounds like a mould that may be a contaminant from one of the ingredients
(yeast supply, cornmeal, agar, etc). Rather than rush to an antibiotic, I
suggest you check this possibility.  If you have valuable stocks altready
contaminated with this orange "mould", you could clean the flies using a
"serial dilution" technique. Place about 20 flies (males and females) in a
vial, leave for about an hour, then change again, repeating this three or
four more times during the day, Repeat this the next day and so on as
necessary.  If they are healthy, the flies will clean themselves and you
will soon "outrun" the contamination.  Incidentally, this is a good method
for ridding stocks of mites in a nice mechanical way that avoids chemicals.
Just be sure to wash and autoclave all contaminated glassware.

With aloha,

Hamp Carson
Department of Genetics
U iversity of Hawaii