Stock Center Update - Orphans and Holiday Shipping Schedule

Kathy Matthews matthewk at FLY.BIO.INDIANA.EDU
Fri Nov 14 17:49:06 EST 1997

1. New orphan list files available

Dan Lindsley has produced two parsed version of the Mid-America
orphan list to make it easier to identify chromosomes,
aberrations, and alleles of potential interest. We have produced
a similar parsed version of the Bloomington list and combined the
sets to make two lists: Chromosomes at Bloomington and those on
the orphan list, and Symbols at Bloomington and those on the
orphan list. These are posted in the Stocks/Stock Centers section
of FlyBase as

parsed-orphan-chrom.rpt2
parsed-orphan-symb.rpt2

By browsing these lists you can more easily tell when a
chromosome, allele, or aberration from the orphan list is already
at Bloomington.

2. Holiday schedule at Bloomington

We found in years past that the vast majority of fly shipments
put into the holiday mail do not reach their destination alive,
so we do not ship flies during the last two weeks of the year.
Our final shipment of 1997 will be on December 15. Your stock
request must be in our hands by noon on Dec. 12 to be included in
the December 15 shipment. Stocks requested between the 12th and
January 2 will be shipped sometime during the week of January 5.
This kind of schedule reduces the number of lost shipments, but
loss is nevertheless higher in these holiday-adjacent periods
than during other times of the year. We encourage you avoid them
if possible, especially for large numbers of stocks.

Kathy Matthews
Kevin Cook

Bloomington Drosophila Stock Center
Department of Biology		      MATTHEWK at FLY.BIO.INDIANA.EDU
Indiana University                    COOK at BIO.INDIANA.EDU
Bloomington, IN  47405-6801
812-855-5782
Stock requests to:                    flystocks at bio.indiana.edu