[bio.dros] fruit flies

Eric Nilsson nilsson at fly.erato.jst-c.go.jp
Tue Feb 18 18:42:42 EST 1997

At 08:19 AM 2/18/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I am seeking some help on how to get rid of fruit flies in my house, I
>have no fruit or vegetables out, and can't seem to get rid of them, also
>if you can help me on moths (house moths, that eat grain).  Thank you.

You may catch flack for posting this on the drosophilla net, but it was a
pleasant change from all the Gene-speak...

I can't really tell you where the flies are comming from without seeing your
house, but remember that they have a really short life cycle and only need a
few to amplify significantly.  You might need, for example, to set your
garbage out every day.

But I have had luck with a removal method which doesn't use insecticides
which you might want to try.  Fruit flies are attracted to rotting fruit, so
they are attracted to alcochol.  I have had really good luck with (don't
laugh) putting a brandy sniffer or similar-shaped glass out on the counter
and placing in it a small amount of rum or brandy.  Leave it undisturbed and
soon you will see it attracting the flies, which fall in and drown.  I am
assuming they succumb to the alchocol fumes, but it has worked everytime for
me.  Sorry, no suggestions for the moths.

Janice