Postdoc Position in Signal Transduction via PI3-kinases

Sally Leevers sallyl at ludwig.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Aug 13 08:17:39 EST 1997

Postdoctoral Position to study Signal Transduction via PI3-kinases in
Drosophila

Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University College
London
in association with University College London Branch of the Ludwig
Institute for Cancer Research, London, UK

A three-year postdoctoral position is available from October 1997 to
study signalling via phosphoinositide 3-kinases in Drosophila. PI3Ks are
activated by numerous extracellular signals and are implicated in the
regulation of various processes including mitogenesis, differentiation,
cell survival and cytoskeletal reorganisation. Although biochemical
studies have identified putative PI3K targets, the function of the novel
phospholipids produced by PI3Ks in stimulated cells is still poorly
understood (TIBS 7, 267272 (1997)). We have taken a genetic approach to
address this problem and find out more about the regulation, biological
function and downstream targets of PI3Ks. So far we have focused on the
Drosophila heterodimeric PI3K Dp110/p60 (EMBO J 15, 65846594 (1996);
JBC 272, 1460614610 (1997)). The expression of PI3K transgenes and the
analysis of mutant phenotypes suggest that one function of Dp110/p60 is
in growth control during larval development. We are now performing
genetic and cell biological analyses to characterise this phenotype
further and identify interacting genes. In addition we are using
transgenic flies and biochemistry to carry out a structure/function
analysis of Dp110/p60.
This work was initiated at the UCL Branch of the Ludwig Institute for
Cancer Research in Mike Waterfield's lab, which focuses on the
biochemical and structural features of PI3Ks and their impact on
function. I have been awarded a Royal Society University Research
Fellowship in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at
UCL to establish a new lab to study signalling via PI3Ks in Drosophila.
The lab will be at the Ludwig Institute and will thereby maintain strong
links with the Waterfield lab and benefit from the well-equipped
facilities that this research institute offers. In addition, the central
London location provides opportunity to interact with various groups at
nearby research institutes and universities. We are looking for a
post-doc to join us, who ideally will have experience in Drosophila
genetics and/or a keen interest in signal transduction.
To apply, please send a CV together with the names and addresses of
three referees to Dr. S. J. Leevers at University College London Branch,
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, 91 Riding House St, London W1P
8BT.
For more information contact Sally Leevers (sallyl at ludwig.ucl.ac.uk).