[bio.dros] how many neurons?

ITO, Kei itokei at fly.erato.jrdc.go.jp
Mon Jul 22 20:38:23 EST 1996

>I'm trying to prepare a comparison of the nervous systems of various
>animals.  Can someone please tell me a commonly accepted estimate for the
>number of neurons in Drosophila?  I've looked through various resources,
>but turned up empty-handed.

People often say 100,000 for the adult brain (central brain and optic lobes).
I sort of confirmed this number by making a simple estimation from the
number of neuroblasts and the cell numbers they give birth to. But I have
never seen literature mentioning the basis of this estimation...

ITO Kei

------TU NE CEDE MALIS, SED CONTRA AUDENTIOR ITO.------
  ITO, Kei
  ERATO, Mitsubishi-Kasei Institute of Life Sciences,
  194 Machida-shi, MinamiOoya 11, Tokyo, Japan
  Tel:  0427-21-2334  (from Abroad: 81-427-21-2334)
  Fax:  0427-21-2850 (from Abroad: 81-427-21-2850)
  email : itokei at fly.erato.jrdc.go.jp