eugracilis culture

Hampton Carson hampton at hawaii.edu
Fri Jul 19 21:10:59 EST 1996

Dear Mike:

When I was collecting in New Guinea in 1977, I tried to rear all the wild
species that I could: always using single, wild-caught females (isofemale
lines> as the source so as not to get mixed cultures of sibling species or
something like that.  I noted that eugracilis always seemed to give only a
few offspring: seemingly the females were only laying a few eggs, so that
moulds in the food seemed to smother the few larvae there were present.
Using your lab culture, I would try rearing from masses of 10-20 females
in a small vial so the larvae produced can keep up with the mold.I had
good luck rearing D. elegans, also an unusual melanogaster group species,
that lays eggs only sparsely. We did find its breeding site: it oviposits
in flowers of the morning-glory genus Ipomea. Many of these flower
flies have this habit.  Who knows! maybe eugracilis has this ecological
niche!

With best regards,

Hamp Carson
University of Hawaii at Manoa