Blowfly cDNA library availa

Philip Batterham Philip_Batterham at MUWAYF.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Wed Jul 17 01:30:51 EST 1996

                      Subject:                              Time:  4:21 PM
  OFFICE MEMO         Blowfly cDNA library available        Date:  17/7/96

I have a Lambda Zap II cDNA library constructed using mRNA isolated from 0 - 8
hour embryos (first half of embryonic development) in the Australian sheep
blowfly, Lucilia cuprina.  The Lucilia and Drosophila lineages diverged about
100 million years ago.  We (along with other groups) have had considerable
success in isolating Lucilia clones with Drosophila probes or degenerate
primers.  The L. cuprina genes are extremely useful in searches for domains
which have been conserved due to functional constraint in evolution.

Our laboratory is attempting to align the linkage maps of L. cuprina with that
of D. melanogaster.  We are willing to send an aliquot of the amplified
library to other laboratories.  It is our hope that in return other groups
might send us L. cuprina cDNA clones for localisation to the genetic map.