Schneider S2 Cells

Mathieu Miron miron at medcor.mcgill.ca
Fri Apr 12 08:05:41 EST 1996

Dear All,

I am cuurently growing Schneider S2 cells in Schneider Medium with 10% FBS
and a bit of antibiotics. After spliting the cells 1:20 and leaving the
cells to grow overnight, I noticed the following morning that the media
was cloudy, as if contaminated. I repeated the dilution from my original
stock, which did not look "contaminated" and obtained the same result
after overnight growth.

Now, I am used to growing mammalian cells, both adherent and  in
suspensions without any problems. This means that all culture work is
being done under sterile conditions in a laminar flow hood.

My question is the following: Is this cloudy look of the culture media
normal? In my experience, when contamination occurs, the cells do not look
so good, ie, they loose their nice little round look and it is also
possible to see big bacteria and/or yeasts floating around in the plate. I
don't see either...

Hope someone can help me...

Thanks in advance, Mathieu