yellow body mutant males are not in disadvantage after all!

Bill Engels wrengels at facstaff.wisc.edu
Wed May 31 09:02:08 EST 1995

In article <3q26db$9m0 at ixnews1.ix.netcom.com>, platense at ix.netcom.com () wrote:

> I have recently completed the first part of a research on population
> genetics in which I observed the changes in allelic frequencies
> between wild and yellow mutant. Despite the mating disadvantage that
> the yellow mutant males are known to have during the courtship, the
> final allelic frequencies I ended up with after 5 generations in two
> populations started with different initial proportions of yellow to
> wild, favored the yellow mutants 60:40. I observed that the yellow
> males hatched much sooner (at least 12 hours) than the wild males, and
> they are also consistently smaller in size than their wild
> counterparts (faster DNA synthesis => smaller size of eventual
> adult??). These are advantages that I observed but could not
> corroborate with current literature. Does anybody know something about
> this???

Were the females in your populations by any chance C(1)DX, y f? If so, I
believe the mating disadvantage of y males would not apply, since y
females do not show the preference.

       Bill

William R. Engels                     :     WREngels at facstaff.wisc.edu
Genetics Department, 445 Henry Mall   :         office: (608) 263-2213
University of Wisconsin               :            lab: (608) 262-5578
Madison, WI  53706                    :            FAX: (608) 262-2976