1. do not keep the media in the cold room for 4 days. Instead
pour it in the afternoon and use it immediately.
2. Use sucrose and glucose as the sugars.
3. Add some yeast granules before putting the flies into the
vial for egg-laying.
4. Till you get say 25-30 flies as the progenyof the first
inoculation, keep the flies in the media for egg-laying upto 5-6 days.
5. use as many as 25 flies for bottle culture and 5-10 flies for
That's it. Also refer the book.
"Drosophila - A practical approach" by D.B. Roberts. IRL press
if you want more details.
Hope you find the sugggestions valuable.
Mol. Bio. Unit.
Homi Bhabha Road, TIFR, Colaba
Bombay - 400 005.
E-mail: Balajik at tifrvax.tifr.res.in