yellow body mutant males are not in disadvantage after all!

platense at ix.netcom.com platense at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 25 09:06:08 EST 1995

I have recently completed the first part of a research on population
genetics in which I observed the changes in allelic frequencies
between wild and yellow mutant. Despite the mating disadvantage that
the yellow mutant males are known to have during the courtship, the
final allelic frequencies I ended up with after 5 generations in two
populations started with different initial proportions of yellow to
wild, favored the yellow mutants 60:40. I observed that the yellow
males hatched much sooner (at least 12 hours) than the wild males, and
they are also consistently smaller in size than their wild
counterparts (faster DNA synthesis => smaller size of eventual
adult??). These are advantages that I observed but could not
corroborate with current literature. Does anybody know something about
this???
Thank you!
Cintia Hongay
Senior Undergrad. Suffolk University, Biology Dept.