yellow body mutant: faster growth?

platense at ix.netcom.com platense at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 25 09:10:31 EST 1995

I recently finished the first part of a research on population
genetics. I studied the allelic frequency changes in 5 generations of
2 populations of D. melanogaster started with two different allelic
proportions of yellow:wild (50%w and 50%y, and 33.3%w and 66.6%y,
respectively) Despite the mating disadvantage of yellow males (faulty
wind component of courtship) I ended up after the 5th. generation in
both populations with a 60%y to 40% w. I observed that the yellow
males hatched sooner (at least 12 hours) than their wild counterparts
and they are consistently smaller in size.
Since all the literature refer to the disadvantages of the yellow
mutation, I would appreciate any info to corroborate the findings of
the advantages cited above.
Thank you!
Cintia Hongay
Senior Undergraduate. Suffolk University Bio Dept.