Candida krusei

Terrence Lyttle tlyttle at UHUNIX.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU
Thu May 25 00:56:56 EST 1995

    I recently posted a message to the Drosophila group concerning the
use of Candida as a food source sprayed on culture media which also helps
eliminate bacterial contaminations.  I inadvertently perpetuated a
misspelling of the species name that is a carryover from my undergraduate
days (and has apparently become fixed in my somewhat fossilized brain).
The species name is Candida krusei (not crusiae, as in my previous
post).  I noted that strains of this species are available from the
American Type Culture (at a cost, of course), and that it should be
benign in humans.  When we obtained our culture from ATCG, they only had
isolates derived from plant material.  It has been brought to my
attention that now there are a number of isolates from human sources,
which is somewhat worrisome.  As far as I understand, krusei is not a
problem for humans (unlike C. albicans), and we have never had any
problem with these yeast cultures over the 15 years or so that they have
been present (off and on) in our laboratory.  If anyone is interested
obtaining strains from ATCG, we are using strain #22985 (it also goes
under the name C. requinyii -- I don't know why).  If people are really
worried about a potential problem for humans, perhaps it would be better
to try strain #60585, which came from a rye sourdough starter in
Germany. That should be innocuous enough, one hopes!  As a purely
nonscientific piece of information -- note that healthy Candida krusei
cultures should smell a bit like juicy fruit gum.
   Terry Lyttle