Kathy Matthews matthewk at FLY.BIO.INDIANA.EDU
Fri May 19 14:24:25 EST 1995

Some of these are good solutions to whole-plug food falls, but liquid food
falls usually result from overinnoculation of the culture.  Too many females
= too many larvae = soupy cultures.  Prevention works best, and you will get
superior yields of adults from cultures grown at optimal density.  The right
number depends on the strain, and the quality and freshness of your food.  For
healthy stocks such as Oregon-R, one or two females per vial and 5 or 6 per
bottle is usually enough (one male for every 2 to 4 females is adequate for
most genotypes).  Weaker stocks will typically require 1.5X to 4x more
females than a healthy stock.  It takes a little longer to count out the
adults when establishing new bottles and usually isn't worth it for general
stockkeeping, but if you need a lot of adults or plan to make repeated use
of the bottles such as in virgin collection it will save you a lot of time
and aggravation in the long run.

Kathy Matthews			Bloomington Drosophila Stock Center
Department of Biology		MATTHEWK at FLY.BIO.INDIANA.EDU
Indiana University              MATTHEWK at INDIANA.EDU
Bloomington, IN  47405-6801     812-855-5782